Saturday, April 2, 2016

Hsinhanwu's Chicken W/Nola Rice

Apr 01 2016

I wanted to try Hisinhanwu's marinade recipe so I bought a whole fryer chicken and thought some Zatarain's New Orlean yellow rice and sauteed mushrooms would be good with it. Hsinhanwu is a fellow member of Let’s Talk BBQ forum.

I made up the marinade early to let the flavors meld. I used vodka but added  one tablespoon rice vinegar for some sour. I just added a good pinch of crushed red pepper, I can't go too hot or the rest of the family won't eat it! I left out the anise; since we don’t care for it.

I cut the backbone out of the chicken and halved it. It went into a plastic bag and in the fridge for 3 ½ hours. I turned it twice.

I put the chicken on my preheated Traeger at 190 deg. I didn't rince it; right out og the bag and on the grill. After a half hour I went to 285 deg. grill level and brushed on some marinade after one hour. I went to 300 deg. grill level and it took another 40 minutes to get to 174 deg. breast IT. It was on a total of an hour 40 minutes.

I sauteed some onions and mushrooms in some brown butter and seasoned with Savor All. I started them on my stove to get the skillet hot and then went on my smoker for the last half hour.I got them a little dry and should have added some liquid near the end. They were on for 40 minutes and had planned on 30 minutes.

I was lookin for the chicken to be done at 6:30 and had the rice going in my rice cooker. I checked the rice at 6:15 and it was cold, seems the cook forgot to turn it on! I dumped it in a sauce pan and on the stove where I could get it done in about 20 minutes. The rice and the chicken were done pretty well at the same time.

It was a good supper. The chicken was moist and tender but as usual the skin was not quite crisp enough. The wife, daughter and I didn't think there was lot of flavor in the chicken. When I tasted the marinade after it set a while I thought it would really be good. Since the vodka has no taste maybe I would like it better with the vinegar. If done over charcoal where you can bast more and brown up the skin better you might get better results.

It's still a good marinade and want to try it on kabobs soon. I was afraid to let my chicken marinade over night for fear of mushy meat.

Click Here for printable marinade recipe

Chicken in the marinade














For the mushrooms














Started on the stove top














Done on the smoker














Chicken resting














Mushrooms and rice ready to serve















My supper

No comments:

Post a Comment