Thursday, November 8, 2012

Beef Barley Soup and Toasted Cheese

Nov. 07 2012

I had plenty of braised beef and onions leftover from my crockpot cook. I decided it would make some good barley soup. I would fix it for tonight’s supper along with toasted cheese sandwiches using my smoked Gouda on some rye bread.

I don’t have a lot of photos of the process but I think all know how to chop or dice veggies. I diced up some celery and carrots, normally I would have onions too but the beef had plenty of onions. I put a quart of beef broth in a soup pot along with a half cup of pearl barley. When I got that boiling I added the celery and carrots. I turned the heat down to a simmer, covered to let simmer for an hour.

After a half hour I thought it looked a little thin so I threw in a hand full of rice and added a bay leaf, a tsp. of salt and some ground pepper. The wife and I decided we didn’t want to eat until 6:30 instead of our usual 6:00pm. I let the soup simmer for an hour and 15 minutes then added in the beef and onions.
I turned up the heat and brought back to a boil, turned down the heat and partially covered for 45 minutes.

When it was time to eat I put a skillet on med high heat and let warm up. I sliced the rye bread and the smoked Gouda. I sprayed the bread on top with some olive oil spray and in the skillet then spayed the other side. I toasted each side about 1 ½ minutes. I like to use butter but the olive oil is better for me!

I served the wife and I a bowl of soup and the sandwich, we had some bought cheese garlic croutons on the soup. It hit the spot on a cold fall evening. It will taste good for lunch tomorrow and I have plenty to share with my Mother when we visit Friday.

Ingredients for my soup


Soups on


My supper


Smokin Don

No comments:

Post a Comment