Monday, September 14, 2015

Brined Spatchcocked Chicken

Sep 13 2015

I wanted to do a chicken today and pull it for meals through the week. I had read somewhere to get a little flavor in the bird while brining add a teaspoon of pepper corns and a whole lemon. The lemon is cut in half, juice squeezed in and halves added too. Leave in the brine for 8 to 24 hours.

My brine mix was 2 quarts of water, 1/3 cup of Morton kosher salt and ¼ cup of brown sugar. I never boil the brine to get the salt and sugar dissolved. I add the salt and stir until it is all dissolved then do the sugar. You can see when there are no more crystals in the bottom of the pan. This save the time you need to cool it down. After stirring I added the lemon and pepper corns.

My chicken had been in the brine for 21 hours this morning when I removed it, rinsed and dried then on a rack in a pan and in the fridge to air dry. It had been in the fridge over 4 hours when I seasoned it and got it on the smoker. I just seasoned it lightly with some Penzey’s sandwich sprinkle, (an herb and garlic seasoning salt). The skin would be a treat for me and not saved in the meat.

I had the Traeger heated to 200 deg. After the bird had been on a half hour I eased the temp up until I had 300 to 310 deg. grill level. It took an hour and 45 minutes to get the breast temp to 174 deg. IT.
Before it cooled too much I had the wing tips and middle joints for a treat, delicious! I don’t tuck the wing tips in like some do; they are a good crispy treat for the cook.


I pulled all the skin off and nuked it for some chicarones. They make a tasty treat. I pulled the chicken meat and it was fall apart tender; it will make good sandwiches or salads, and maybe a casserole this week. I thought the lemon and pepper corns did add some flavor.

Brined, seasoned and ready to smoke














At 174 deg. breast IT














Cooling














The skin














My treats














Fall apart tender














For meals this week

No comments:

Post a Comment