Saturday, April 18, 2015

A batch of Kimchi

Apr 18 2015

This week I made a batch of Kimchi for the Ohio Buckeye Gathering June 5-6-7th in Loudonville Ohio. At the present 10 to 12 of the members of Lets Talk BBQ forum plan to meet for some good outdoor cooking and fun. I have not met any of these people but feel like they are old friends since we have chatted on the forum for the last 2 or 3 years. It will be great to finally meet my friends face to face.

I wanted to make some of my Kimchi to take along; it is a great condiment for BBQ; just as a side dish or on top of a brat, pulled pork or brisket sandwich. My version is probably a little Americanized or tamed down from what some people like. The original version called for fish sauce and ginger; I omitted the fish sauce. I didn’t care for the ginger so I don’t use it anymore. It still tastes close to what I used to get from a Korean neighbor years ago.

It is an easy and quick method for making Kimchi. You just clean and cut up the Napa cabbage the size you like; for a side dish 1 to 1 /2 inch pieces works well. If you would like it more for a sandwich topping ¾ inch pieces are better. After you get it chopped you just add coarse Kosher salt; mix well to evenly coat and let set for 30 minutes. Then rinse well; add the rest of the ingredients; I do this in a sealable Tupper ware bowl; and let it set for two days. It will stain the plastic so I have a bowl dedicated to making Kimchi.

I then put it in Mason quart jars; top with some filtered water to cover and in the fridge. It will continue to ferment slowly in the fridge and I think it is best to let set at least 4 weeks. It should keep 3 to 4 months. Once I get into it I can never let it set that long!

Click here for printable Kimchi recipe

Napa cabbage















Chopped and salted















Additional ingredients















Half added at a time















Mixed and ready to set for two days















Placing in jars















Done and will set in fridge for a few weeks

No comments:

Post a Comment