Friday, October 3, 2014

Smoked White Chicken Chili

Oct 02 2014

My leg is still giving me fits so yesterday my wife went to the grocery and bought stuff for our supper tonight. Last night we had sandwiches from Sandman’s carry out. It got above 80 today so was nice to be out.

I found this recipe at food52. They used rotisserie chicken in their chili, I smoked one. I spatchcocked one and in a brine for 8 hours and then rinsed and dried and in the fridge to air dry for 6 hours. I placed a pat of butter under each breast skin and seasoned with Stubbs. I decided to leave the skin dry with just the rub and see how it came out. I was not going to use the skin anyway. It came out tough.

I got the chicken on my Traeger about 8:30 am on 180 deg. and was about 220 deg. grill level. After 45 minutes I went to 325 deg. grill level. The last 20 minutes was at 350 deg. for a breast IT of 175 deg. It went inside and tented with foil. I had some bacon to use for a topping so I did it while the smoker was hot.

I shredded the chicken and then cut into bite sized pieces before it went in the chili. I changed the cooking order some from the recipe. I sautéed the onions and garlic then added in the chicken for a few minutes stirring then added the dry seasonings and stirred in. Then I added the broth and the rest of the ingredients except the half and half cream. I brought it to a boil then down to simmer for 15 minutes. I added in the cream about 10 minutes before serving.

I served it with avocado, sour cream, crumbled bacon and some cilantro from a tube for toppings. I had fresh lime at the table to squeeze over and Smoked Cajun crackers to have with it. Tasted great and we all liked it.

The grandson had soccer practice at 6:00 so his Mom took him then came ate with us. She took some leftovers for the grandson.
The chicken















The bacon















Shredded chicken















Chili ingredients















My supper

No comments:

Post a Comment