Monday, October 13, 2014

Smoked Chicken for Sandwich and to pull

Oct 12 2014

It was a nice week-end. The grandson played in a soccer tournament Sat. and Sun.; they took 2nd place. I couldn’t make it to see him play, since my leg is hurting. Saturday evening our son had a party for his wife and son’s birthdays which are Mon. and Tues.

I haven’t been able to do much cooking with the bad leg; I can’t stand up for very long. My wife was going to a play and then out for supper with some girlfriends. I needed something for my supper so the wife went and got me a chicken this morning. I could make me a sandwich for supper and pull the rest for some chicken lasagna for Tuesday.

I just had enough time for a two hour brine and then an hour to dry before time to get it on. I mixed up about a half cup of mayonnaise, a ½ teaspoon each of smoked paprika, and chili powder and ¼ teaspoon of cumin to rub on the chicken and some under the breast skin. I had enough left for my sandwich.

I got the chicken on at 3:00 225 deg. grill level and then eased it to 325 deg. grill level. When it hit 120 deg. breast IT I went to 350 to 360 deg. grill level to finish to 172 deg. IT. Total cook time was an hour 25 minutes.

I let it cool some and then cut some of the breast for my sandwich. I ate both wing tips and pulled the rest off to save. The dog and I had to have a few bites!

I had a small baguette to use for my sandwich. I smeared both bread halves with some of the mayo, heated the chicken some and then melted some provolone cheese over the top. I was hungry for chili so I opened a can of Wolf’s brand Texas no bean chili to have with some cheddar cheese. That was a good supper.

Ready for the smoker















Chickens done















Cooling















Making my sandwich















Cheese melted















Sandwich and chili
















No comments:

Post a Comment