Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Smoked Chicken Creamy Lasagna

Oct 14 2014

I had smoked a chicken Sunday for my supper and pulled most of the rest to use for tonight’s dish. I am still hampered by a bad leg and cannot stand at the stove long so I am limited to what I can cook. I found out yesterday from a MRI that I have a ruptured disc and a piece of it is against my sciatic nerve causing the pain. The meds I am taking are not giving me much relief. The Dr. called today and said they had me an appointment to see a neurosurgeon Nov. 17th I said I didn’t know if I could take the pain that long. I called the neurosurgeon today to see if I could get in any sooner. Hope to hear something tomorrow.

If you already have shredded chicken on hand this is about the easiest lasagna I ever made. Instead of tomato sauce this uses cream of chicken soup, onions, green peppers and milk or cream for the sauce. For my lasagna noodles I used ready to bake so didn’t have to boil any. The recipe was from Betty Crocker; it called for 2 cups shredded mozzarella and one cup shredded cheddar cheese. I used what I had on hand; 2 cups of 4 blend Mexican and 1 cup mozzarella. I was generous in my measuring.

I forgot to add some parmesan to the layers so I added some parmesan, Romano and Asiago to the top the last 20 minutes of cooking. I can see this would make good Tex-Mex by just adding some mild or hot green chilies, chili powder and cumin for Italian use Italian cheeses, oregano, basil and thyme. You could use some ground beef too instead of the chicken.

Following the recipe it comes out pretty mild but very tasty. I baked mine at 350 deg. for the 50 minutes and it was bubbly and getting brown on top. I let it rest 10 minutes before serving. We had a small green salad and some toasted garlic bread. I had some Vidalia onion salad dressing, fresh ground pepper and some dried garlic flakes on my salad. This is a keeper recipe for something quick and easy. It should serve six easily.
The chicken















My ingredients















Ready to bake















Resting















My salad















My supper







No comments:

Post a Comment