Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Grilled T-Bones, Spanish Roasted Potato Salad and Mushrooms

Sep 09 2014

Tonight we had T-bone steaks with Tim’s, (from Savor Spices), Top Secret rub, seasoning. For my sides I would have some Spanish roasted potato salad, some frozen mushrooms I had and a sliced baguette with butter. The Top Secret rub is only available to LTBBQ members for testing for now. Use another of Savors rubs or your favorite steak seasoning.

It was a mostly cloudy but nice day today about 80 deg. About 2:00 I made up the potato salad. I sliced up a pound of yellow potatoes ¼ inch thick, coated with olive oil, salt and pepper and some Spanish smoked paprika. I roasted them in the oven at 400 deg. in a single layer on a cookie sheet. I turned them after 12 minutes and another 12 minutes they were done. After cooling they were dressed with mayonnaise, lemon juice, a little mustard and a little smoky horseradish sauce; then they went in the fridge.

The original recipe at Food52 called for Dijon mustard but I was out so did a teaspoon of yellow mustard and a half teaspoon of the horseradish sauce. I added the smoked paprika to the recipe.

Click here for original recipe by SocialChef

The steaks were some I had bought over a week ago at $4.95 a pound and froze. I dry salt brined them using coarse grey sea salt on both sides. I placed them on a wire rack over a plate, loosely covered with plastic wrap and in the fridge for an hour. I then rinsed them well and dried well; back in the fridge loosely covered. It was about 2 hours later when I got them out, seasoned well on both sides with the Top Secret.

I think the dry brine really helps tenderize the steaks and helps them retain moisture. These steaks were ¾ inch thick and I just let them set one hour in the fridge with the salt. For thicker steaks I would let set for two hours.

I had set the potato salad out an hour to warm up some. I heated my Weber Spirit to 450 deg. with grill grates. I had the mushrooms in a wire basket and put them on for 2 minutes before the steaks. When I put the steaks on the sauce on the mushroom was causing a flare up so I pulled them and then they went back in on the warming rack the last 4 minutes. I did the steaks 4 minutes per side turning 90 deg. every two minutes. I let the steaks rest for 5 minutes before serving.

The steaks were done just right for us and we liked the Top Secret on them; it goes great with beef! I liked the potato salad for a different one but think I would like it better re-heated.

Potatoes roasted















Dressing added















Steaks salted















After one hour















Rinsed dried and two hours in the fridge















Seasoned and ready to grill















Mushrooms















Ready to serve















My supper















Good!

No comments:

Post a Comment