Saturday, September 13, 2014

Grilled Flank Steak, veggies and couscous

Sep 12 2014

Yesterday I had 5 flank steaks to fix. A small thick one I trimmed up and marinated in some Whistle Stop Marinade. The original Whistle Stop Café was the basis for the movie Fried Green Tomatoes, in 1992. The café was located in Irondale, Alabama. The family that owned the café has sold it but their son Bill still sells products made from the recipes of the café.

The steak had marinated in the fridge for 12 hour, I removed it from the marinade and on a wire rack in a covered dish in the fridge for several hours before grilling.

My sides were some Israeli couscous cooked in chicken stock and about 1/3 cup of shredded parmesan, Romano and Asiago cheese and I stir fried some frozen Japanese vegetables I had. I had some Terry Ho's Japanese steak sauce over my steak.

I had my Weber Spirit heated with the flat side of grill grates to 450 deg. I seasoned the steak with a little salt and pepper and sprayed one side with some olive oil. It went on the grill oil side down for 8 minutes then turned for another 6 to 7 minutes. The IT of the steak was from 135 to 140 deg.

I had my couscous made and tented the steak to rest while I did the stir fry of veggies. I served it with some bread and butter. This supper was kind of a hodgepodge of different cultures but it all tasted good together. Note I did get my bread and butter in there!

The marinade is Kikkoman soy sauce based with no MSG. It says to marinade for 2 hours. I thought my   1 ½ inch thick steak needed longer so went with overnight. It might have been a little overdone so next time I would do for 4 hours. I did like it though and it gave the steak a good flavor.

Steak ready to marinade















Grilled and sliced















My supper

No comments:

Post a Comment