Sunday, June 24, 2012

Two Beef Roasts

I wanted to do up a beef roast & slice up for sandwiches. I had not done a round sirloin tip roast for awhile; WalMart usually had some large ones and at a better price than my butchers. When I went for one Friday all they had were small ones, 2 to 3 lbs. I decided I would do two, one round sirloin tip roast and one eye of round. This would give me a good chance to compare & see which I liked the best.

I made up a rub of equal parts, gray sea salt, fresh ground pepper, dried minced garlic, dried minced onion and dried parsley. I coated both roasts well wrapped in saran wrap & in the fridge over night.

I made up an injection of 1 cup beef broth, 2 cloves of garlic smashed, 1 Tbs. Worcestershire and 1 tsp. Adolph’s meat tenderizer no MSG. I brought all to a boil then let cool & in the fridge.

I injected both roasts and saved the rest for basting. I tied the round sirloin roast. I did them on smoke 170 deg for 45 min. I then edged my temp up to 275 deg. for the rest of the cook. In just over 2 hr. total they were up to 138 deg. Pulled them tented with foil & a towel & let rest for ½ hour. Uncovered & when cool enough went in the fridge for about 3 hours. I basted twice during the cook.

I had planned on searing at the end but liked the way the crust looked so left alone. The round sirloin tip was a little rarer than I like but probably better for reheating. I think the sirloin was a little more tender than the eye of round and just a tad tastier; but all I have done have the line of gristle through it. I don’t mind when sliced thin in a sandwich but some people do. For this reason I will probably use the eye of round in the future. Both sliced up nice & were moist.

I browned up some for sandwiches Saturday evening along with some more wilted lettuce. I had my sandwich with some Dijon mustard & Claussen’s dill pickles. The lettuce was from my garden.

Ready for the smoker



Done and ready for the fridge



Sliced eye of round



Sliced round sirloin tip



This will make some good sandwiches



My sandwich & salad



Smokin Don

No comments:

Post a Comment