Tuesday, June 26, 2012

My Philly Cheese Steak

Nothing fancy here just my version of a Philly beef steak sandwich. Sandwiches & light fare has been working well for these hot summer days. Sunday evening was a get your own night here. My son is off to school, the wife & daughter in law fixed salads and the grandson had tacos from Taco Bell; I gotta work on that kid!

This made it easy to prepare one sandwich for myself. I caramelized some Vidalia onions in my carbon steel skillet. I browned up some of the round sirloin tip in the same skillet. I divided it on both halves of a soft white hoagie bun. On one half went a good portion of the onions and two layers of sliced baby Swiss cheese on the other. Then under the broiler to get the cheese all bubbly & brown. Sure tasted good.

I first posted this on pelletheads forum. One said I needed to use cheese whiz, one from Philadelphia I think was offended by my calling it ‘Philly Cheese Steak’. From what I read if it is beef, usually eye of round or top round thinly sliced & sometimes chopped served on a bun with cheese added it qualifies to be called a Philly cheese steak.

For alls info, the first Philly beef steak sold at what is now Pats was with no cheese in the early 1930's later provolone was added and American cheese is also used. Cheese Whiz didn't come along until the early 1950's. Pat's & Geno's are the two favorites in Philadelphia, located across the street from each other. Both places offer provolone, American, or cheese whiz as well as other toppings. Both say cheese whiz is by far the most favored.

An easy sandwich that can be made with about any left over beef. My favorite cheese for any sandwich is Swiss cheese, then provolone, and sharp cheddar I like on burgers too.


Browning the beef



Sandwich assembled



Broiled



Ready to eat



Smokin Don

No comments:

Post a Comment